Saturday, September 27, 2008

Where the Boom Bands are playing...


Lately I've found myself getting up in the morning with little motivation to do much. I think that sometimes we all find ourselves in these ruts. I know from my personal experience that I don't even realize where I'm stuck at sometimes but eventually it catches up to me and realize that something needs be done.
I absolutely love children books. In fact, I love them so much that I collect them. One of my all time favorite authors is Dr. Seuss himself. Though some argue that he makes up meaningless words in order to rhyme, I feel that his simple words convey messages that we can easily detect. With the power of a child's reading book, he teaches me--an adult--to open my eyes and see.
In his very well known book Oh the Places You'll Go he talks about these ruts we come across in life...."You can get so confused that you'll start in to race down long wiggled roads at a break-necking pace and grind on for miles across weirdish wild space, headed, I fear, toward a most useless place...The Waiting Place."
We all know "The Waiting Place". It's the place when I get up in the morning and don't really care. It's the times when we fail to look around and see how blessed we really are. He then says, "....for people just waiting. Waiting for a train to go or a bus to come, or a plane to go or the mail to come, or the rain to go or the phone to ring, or the snow to snow or waiting around for a Yes or No or waiting for their hair to grow. Everyone is just waiting. Waiting for the fish to bite or waiting for a wind to fly a kite or waiting around for Friday night or waiting, perhaps, for their Uncle Jake or a pot to boil, or a better break or a string of pearls, or a pair of pants or a wig with curls, or another Chance. Everyone is just waiting." What I am waiting for? What are you waiting for? Maybe it's as simple as the mail to come. Maybe it's more complicated, but none of us have to stay in the Waiting Place!
I've been blessed to live a beautiful and precious life! There is no reason to get in the morning and not appreciate the world around me. :) There is NO reason for me not to love my life and express energy towards it. Because really...this is life that we've all been given! It our chance to grow, to experience sensations, to cry, laugh and stop to capture a priceless moment. I am so blessed- with a family who loves me, friends I can count on and so many more wonderful things. I thank my Heavenly Father daily, for He has blessed me immeasurably.
As Dr. Seuss says, "No! That's not for you! Somehow you'll escape all that waiting and staying. You'll find the bright places where Boom Bands are playing. With banner flip-flapping once more you'll ride high! Ready for anything under the sky. Ready because you're that kind of a guy!"
The Waiting Place is not for anyone. We can escape again and again and find the bright places. And I'm not sure what Boom Bands are, but they sound fun. :)

3 comments:

  1. Now I understand your council...haha...and this is why we have Dr. Seuss day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a wonderful life! To many people live unhappily thinking that tomorrow will be better. Everyone always wants what they don't have. If they look around and appreciate what they have, the little things, the simple and important things there wouldn't be so many people suffering from depression! Remember, the most important things in life aren't things!

    ReplyDelete

from keen.