Friday, June 26, 2009

a piece of everything.

{like clay}
In the beginning, we are all like beautifully sculpted, simple molds of clay. As time passes we come across different people in all sorts of situations, throughout various locations in the world. Some of these people will be a part of our lives for many years, maybe our whole entire lives. Others will come and go very quickly. This is the process in which we will one day be a completed masterpiece.

With every person, every being with character and personality that we interact with, there is a piece. A piece of what? It depends. It could be a piece of their story, their laugh, a tear, a smile, their beliefs...anything. It is a piece of whatever they are willing to give and whatever we will take.
To name a few...

{the old man}

Every day at work as I am opening up shop, an elderly man passes by on his morning walk. Without fail he waves with a warm hello, usually accompanied with a joke of sorts. He probably doesn't realize it, but I look forward to this every morning.

I don't know anything about this man or the life he has lived, but I know he is willing to share a small moment of it with me every morning. And I've taken a piece with me.

A piece of his simplicity.

{the teacher}

When I was sixteen years old, I had a Sunday school teacher that left an impression that has remained with me for all these years. Scholar, lawyer, mentor, father; I looked up to this person. I don't think he realized this, and he probably never will. This man was different from others. Many disagreed with his opinions, but he stood up for them with a voice that echoed clear with a cause.

I yearned for his confidence. And though he probably doesn't know it, I took a piece with me.

A piece of his voice, of his stength to stand tall.

{the girl on the bus}

One day in the 7th grade I was feeling very down about myself. Sitting on the bus, head down, desperately wishing I were in the comfort of my home. I heard a high pitched voice that seemed to be aimed at me, "You're very pretty." Hesitantly, I looked up to see a brown haired, bright eyed charming girl. "I'm sorry?" I asked, feeling confused. "I said," she repeated, "yooouuu are very pretty." Her smile was ridiculously contagious. I was warmly comforted by her words and her kindness.

I've never forgotten that bus ride. And though she's probably forgotten all about it....I took it with me, forever.

A piece of her charming warmth.

{the cousin}

My cousin Craig was always played the older brother I didn't have. Many summers were spent together swimming at the local rec center, having lemonade stands, and making countless home videos, ranging from fictional stories of the invention of toilet paper to top secret FBI missions. Not too long ago, he was married to a lovely young lady in the Los Angeles LDS Temple.

I protect and cherish memories with him. And I take them with me.

A piece of his laughter and optimism towards life.

{the papa}

Before my grandfather passed away, my family was able to visit him one last time. He had become noticeably older than I had remembered and seemed more frail. My heart ached.

One evening while walking to dinner, I offered Papa my arm. He gently took it and held on tightly. At that moment, I wanted more than anything just to tell him what he meant to me.

Sadly, it wasn't until I realized that I would soon loose him, that I saw how much I really loved him. And as my grandfather, he is a part of me. And I will take it with me always.

A piece of his love for family, his humor and his noble life.

{the 'and so it goes'}

And so, life goes on. People will always cross our paths. It's a beautiful process. We give to one another, sometimes without even realizing, however small or large it may be.

It's a piece of anything. A piece of everything.

With love,

Kristen Ashlyn

No comments:

Post a Comment

from keen.