Sunday, February 7, 2010

a little pink bike.

i remember learning how to ride a bike...

it was a new experience for me, in many ways. in fact, it is one of the first memories i have of actually feeling frustrated. training wheels were just not cool anymore, and i was ready to be hip on two wheels like my friends. in my mind, riding a bike without training wheels seemed simple...just start peddling and go. but when it actually came down to it i found that there was a small, minor detail that hadn't crossed my mind: balance. i wanted so badly to take off down the rough asphalt road, not a care in the world on my little pink bike, but every time i tried i'd find myself falling helplessly to the ground.

as badly as i wanted to do it on my own, i couldn't. i needed help, someone to teach me...to make sure i didn't keep falling and hurting myself. my dad, being the good man that he is, had the brilliant idea of wrapping a towel around my stomach and then holding the two ends in his hands. this way, if i started falling over he could pull the towel in the needed direction, preventing me from losing control.

after many hours of frustration and help from my kind father...i learned how to ride a bike on my own.

today i was thinking about my twenty-one years. the things i've successfully learned, and the things i still struggle with. i do know one thing for certain about myself: i always try to do it myself. and just like the story of my little pink bike...i fall and it sometimes hurts. in fact, my whole life is quite similar to that small experience. i try to do it on my own, but the fact of the matter is...i always need the help of my Heavenly Father.

today i was reminded of a scripture that has always meant a great deal to me...

"I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise." -D&C 82:10

he doesn't want to see us fall. if i do my part he will do his....kind of like learning to ride a bike...

No comments:

Post a Comment

from keen.