Tuesday, April 19, 2011

celine.

returning home from a weekend in paradise is not easy.

paradise meaning a bankrupt-ritzy-resort located thirty-seven minutes off of the las vegas strip in henderson, nevada.

that's right.

i'm going to clue you in on the secret. because it's a good one.

thirty-five hundred acres of pure bliss. this area is so upscale that celine dion purchased a house in the neighborhood.

yup, celine herself (and i would know, because i have paddle-boated to her house).

you're wondering why you haven't heard about this heaven on earth?

well, listen up. here is the kicker: though the resort is--in my mind--one of the most brilliant things that has ever happened to las vegas (aside from honey, i blew up the kid)...others did not feel that way.

in fact, in 2008 the resort filed for chapter eleven and went completely bankrupt. with debts much higher than the revenue celine could bring in from any of her shows (no, i really don't know if that is true...but trust me, this place was drowning in debt. which is ironic, because it is on a lake. and lakes are water. and you drown in water. okay, nevermind.)

and as upsetting as i am sure this was to the property owners around the resort and anyone who had invested any sort of money into it...

it was a fast pass to a life of luxury at the warwick household.

that's right. prices took a nose-dive to an all-time low, private owners lowered rental rates and well...let's just say that the resort was doing just about anything they could to bring in visitors.

and well-by-golly they got us.

needless to say, prices are still ridiculously low. and us warwicks eat it up.

we've been back a few times now. and let me tell you, that it only gets better as the years go on. the sun gets hotter. the italian gelato gets tastier. and the memories get cheesier.

just what we like.

and this time around, i learned a lot about myself.

i know, right? lake las vegas, who knew?

i'm going to blame it on the gelato. that italian ice cream really gets ya.

...truly, i now have a better understanding for who keen, who kristen, who little-miss-kris really is.

maybe it was the ridiculously-competitive-never-ending rounds of catch phrase or perhaps just the simple fact that i actually had time to sit and think about my life in the scorching hot desert sun.

but it really doesn't matter, because whatever it was...it made me think.

i am truly my fathers daughter.

just like him, i am a thinker. my mind is constantly going even though i don't often show it. we are under-reactors. often times we show our approval with a nod or a smile, in place of where others might react with more apparent forms of approval. like a nice loud burst of laughter.

we don't attract drama. and we often don't express the inward concerns or worries that we may have. we'll let it eat at us and deal with it on our own. someway. somehow.

it's dangerous.

one of my most proud possessions is my logic. yup, i get that from my daddy-o as well.

he has the gift of always thinking and expressing himself logically. emotions rarely--if ever--get in the way. and though i can't say that i never let emotions get the best of me, i could not be more grateful that he passed this ability along to me.

i'm okay with silence. not all the time, but sometimes. i don't mind time to think. or to look out a car window. or to work alone. in fact, i need that time.

yes sir. that is my dad for you.

and then we have mom. i get a lot from my mom.

my feisty-don't-mess-with-this attitude that accompanies the louder side of me. the side that encourages a good debate and loves arguing a little to much.

i love challenges. and i thrive on competition.

it's the chatty side of me. the one that goes into a room and leaves with four new friends. that right there is the shell-bell in me.

thank-the-stars-above for the gifts my mom has given me.

she gave me her confidence. and her great sense of style (thanks momma). the ability to love. and oh, when i say love...i mean hard-core-no-stopping-it-forever-and-onward love.

no one loves like my mother.

and of course (and she'll kill me if she reads this) my flirty side. oh yes, shell-bell was quite the little flirt in her day. and though i doubt i can top her numbers, let's just say that the gene was passed on.

interesting mix, eh?


the quiet logic and the loud-people-lovin'-extrovert.

yup, it all equals out to me.

i listen to a variety of old seventies rock and nineties grunge artists.

will probably judge you based off of your music choices, am decently picky when it comes to humor...and though i absolutely love shopping while sipping on an icy-cold-diet-coke (one of the most classically girlish things in the world), often make fun of dramatic-wreaking-females.

one thing is for sure. i am not always consistent.

my different sides may surprise you. yes, even you celine. and believe me when i say, my heart will go on.

eddie says it pretty good here. and read the lyrics here. "....i wish i was a messenger and all the news was good."

so there you have it, just another learning experience.

that's who i am. now with a nice tan.


eh-hem.

cheers, celine.

3 comments:

  1. sounds like i need to make a stop at the celine resort haha. you know how to sell things

    ReplyDelete
  2. so like dave to find the resort that is going through bankruptcy. Smooth. Hey..you're the best. (that was directed toward you kris not dave, ha ha)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily! Siera REALLY wants to do the lunch thing. We will be calling you shortly as soon as finals are over...and yes, go see CELINE!

    Aubry....you know that is our style. And we're proud of it.

    ReplyDelete

from keen.