Sunday, May 8, 2011

tell me about it, stud.

my week started off with a little bit of grease.

no, not from the cam-cam (my sexy toyota camry). and not from all the three-thousand-tons of mexican food i ate during the past seven days (though it probably has supplied me with enough grease to last the rest of my life)...but from the 1978 movie-musical-phenomenon.

john travolta and olivia newton-john were quite the dynamic duo.
no questions asked. they played the part of classic-clean-cut-charmingly-beautiful-australian-good girl and the bad-a-leather-jacket-wearing-all-american-hottie with total ease and conviction.

they rocked.

and trust me, i would know. i grew up loving that movie more than most. i knew its soundtrack better than disney's aladdin and the king of thieves. also a family favorite.

rumor has it that marie osmond was up for the 'sandra dee' roll back in the day. and as the story goes, she really wanted the part but ended up declining the offer due to the moral dilemma she felt the film presented.

moral, what?

i mean, come on. good girl meets bad boy (oh, those t-birds). she wishes he would just love her for who she is but ends up giving in at the end. saying goodbye to her clean-cut ways, she shows up to the end of the year carnival dressed as a new-bad-a-kind-of-woman, cigarette, sexy red heals and all (that's my girl).

it is then and only then that she finds true happiness with the man she loves.

moral of the story little girls:
yes, it is true. you should never expect to change your man. but by-golly, if you need to lower your standards for him...DO IT.

classy, eh?

oh. and what is with this scene? after danny tries to feel-up sandy at the drive in. pisses her off. and then starts singing about how he needs her with a hot dog cartoon playing in the background.

i mean, what? what is going on? what is happening?

why this movie is an all-american favorite is something i will never understand...but will forever be a part of.

to be honest, i hadn't seen the movie in years until i watched it about a week ago in st. george, utah. with my mom, aunt and grandmother. fun, eh?

seriously though, it was a freakin' hoot.

and the past seven days only went uphill from there. uphill from danny and sandy's epic morally-degrading love story.

this week taught me a lot. almost too much. i learned about life. about family. about death. about marriage. about priorities. about laughter. about emotions. and about myself.

i'm not sure of the exact moment when it hit me...perhaps it was laughing with my grandparents as we stood on their plot at the cemetery, inappropriately going to town with jokes regarding what we would write on their headstones. or maybe it was watching my mom and aunt laugh until they cried talking about the kardashians and the things you can learn from youtube (sad part is, they know more about the kardashians than i do. all i know is that they have massive boobs, butts and checking accounts.)

but whatever it was, it changed me.

it was a time for me to confide. to look beyond myself and see what is truly important in life. to admit my fears and understand my strengths. and face what weakens me.

one day, early in the week i took a long run. i ran for an hour or so. and then decided to run some more. i found myself climbing up red rocks, looking over the city, talking to a russian man in town for the ironman (i know right, all the way from freakin' russia)...realizing that something had to change.

why? because my actions as of late, are not complimentary to the future i am determined to have. the future that i want more than anything. the future that i temporarily forgot about.

this past weekend was mothers day. and i went to church with my mom.

we sat in our third hour meeting, listening to our darling bishop give a heart-felt meaningful talk on mothers. it was here, that all my experiences of this past week were sealed into one stunning, life-changing package.

he spoke of mothers and of family. he talked about losing his mother at the age of thirteen and the relationship he then formed with his sisters. the lesson was comical, emotional and all-around quite touching.

as he approached the end, he changed the slide of the powerpoint to a picture of his family now.

the room was silent.


he just stared.

and took a desperate breath through choking back tears.

this, he said. this is my world.

that's all it took.

i was humbled. and that was it.

family.

family is what i want. my own, unique, beautiful world that i will call my family.

i want that (just like this).

yes. i want to stand by my hubby at the age of eighty-two and laugh about what we are going to have engraved on our headstones.

and at the age of twenty-seven i want to watch my one-year-old little boy run through the sand and explore at the ocean side.

when i am fourty-nine i want to joke with my younger sisters about how our butts are no longer the sexy-a's they used to be and how we are slowly losing our minds.

and the day my husband dies i want to stand over his headstone and know that i will soon see him again. that our love will not end with death. but live on forever and ever.

because family is my world.

the picture above is of my grandparents. they have a cute love story.

a smokin' hot surfer boy (really though, he was a looker) turned marine from southern california and your classic boston city girl, sassy, independent and beautiful. one whirlwind romance. five beautiful children. now twenty-something grandchildren. and four great-grandchildren.

no sandy and danny that's for sure (then again...he did wear leather and drive around a harley and she talkes an awful lot about them two going to watch the 'submarines race' late at night. ha.) but really...family is everything to them

and trust me. you walk into their front room and ask about the six shelves on the wall lined with pictures...

you'll get a story or two about family. guarantee it.

i like that.

and in the words of sandra dee, 'tell me about it, stud.' watch here.

p.s. yes, i re-posted this post because blogger decided to have a little attitude and delete the post the first time...

4 comments:

  1. That drive-in scene is pretty weird. Grease is a classic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love that movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for your post:)

    ReplyDelete

from keen.