Sunday, August 21, 2011

words of reminder. by jessica.

jessica is another one of my friends forever. one of our 'fantastic four'.

many of my college days and nights were spent with jess. literally--we shared the same bedroom, same bunk beds. the whole she-bang.

being the sweetheart that she is, jess let me have the bottom bunk (she's got a good few inches on me). i was grateful for this. until i realized that she had a painfully early start to her day. and being the motivated-go-getter kind that she is, she would set her alarm every morning for an even earlier time so that she could get up and be 'productive' before beginning her crack-of-freakin'-dawn-work-day.

that being said.

i would listen to that alarm go off about six or seven times every morning. and everytime, she would get up, jump off the bunk (rattling the whole bed--which isn't hard to do, that thing was a piece of sketchiness anyways), hit snooze on her cell phone alarm, and then leave it on the desk so she would have to get back up again. and again. and again.

yup, that's why i love her.

jess is a high school english teacher. never complains. secretly thinks she is beyonce. and is extremely talented at what she does.

and that dearies is jess.

Though I am a hopeless romantic myself, (dreaming of the perfect moment, with an unknown Him, under a starlit anything) I can’t help but write about a different kind of love today.

This kind of love comes from saying no; it comes from showing up alone; it comes from dashboard drumming and kitchen dancing; it comes from knowing you can and showing you did. This kind of love is for numero uno, it’s self-respect, it’s faith in you, and it’s a won confidence.

My eyes have recently been opened to just how many people struggle with this concept. For example, I may see a girl that’s proficient at keeping her cool, kicking up her feet with hip new jeans and straight, white teeth. Come to find out, that when the only breath in the room is her’s, “cool” is an adjective she never thinks. She spreads her job, her money, her body, her friends, and her intelligence across the floor, setting them ablaze with flammable words like, “I’m not good enough. They need more.”

She performs for the masses and breaks down in the dark. I couldn’t tell…If only I had known.

Human beings are sometimes creatures of comparison to a fault. Who has the best style? Who has the best swing? The best smile? The best SATs? You can wager and weigh until your blue in the face, but it will most likely not make you a better you.

I’m passionate about this subject because everyone deserves to feel worthy. So, to anyone who has metaphorically or literally burned their life into embers…to anyone who just doesn’t feel good enough, here are a few reminders:

No one has it all figured out.

The grass may not be greener.

Your quirks and habits belong.

Your opinion matters.

Show yourself you can do it. You CAN do it.

Please, don’t try to please everybody.

Feel good in that custom skin.

Smile at your reflection.

I am the first to admit that I can’t sing, I make funny facial expressions, I’m slightly awkward around that really cute boy, and I know little about fashion. I also know that if you push me in the dirt, I’ll get back up, I can sink a solid three pointer (or two or three), I laugh at dorky jokes, but most of all, I’m still learning this life. Everyday, I’m more and more comfortable with the me that’s showing up for life. I want that for you too…

and trust me when I say that you are you and that is what’s cool. Nobody knows the difference.


read more about jess here.

6 comments:

  1. I really appreciate this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica, from the day I met you your warm words made my heart feel like gold. You've done it again my dear, you've done it again. If you want to move to king henry and be my next door neighbor again, just let me know. I'm sure there is a contract for us both. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldn't agree more. This was genius.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw thanks, girls! Siera, I think I'm a little too old for King Henry these days. haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never too old for king henry. Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. never.....never never never

    ReplyDelete

from keen.